The Actor's Practice
The art of the human voice
I'm looking for ten actors who want to really expand the possibilities of physical expression for voice-over and animation, and inhabit accents for stage and screen. If you want to learn how to authentically embody accents, and evolve through every story you skillfully craft, this is the course for you.Apply now to audition
What characters do you have in your back pocket that you can play with?
The embodied character is the most intimate expression of the human experience. To truly offer an authentic, moving human experience in your storytelling requires a nuanced, subtle, flexible and pleasurable connection to your voice.
The voice is the most intimate expression of the self and can convey ten thousand intimacies through a freely expressive, present actor.
That's why we have created "The Art of the Human Voice" to give you the skills to really develop, deepen and make the characters and accents your own.
Additionally, we're bringing in amazingly talented teachers to work with you, including Chris Edmund and Ruth McGill!!
and embodied imagination
so that you can
be more diverse and authentic in creating the character’s voice and body
Be alive and alert vocally and physically
so that the audience
can receive the essence
of the human experience
that is living within you
Be original and playful for voiceover and animation
So that you can offer as many different options to the director and sound engineer when playing with Animated Scripts.
Here's what to expect
- Weekly voice, body, acting and accent masterclasses 1:1 coaching and scene work and group work with Helena Walsh
- Weekly acting and voiceover masterclass with world renowned acting coach and director, Chris Edmund
- Weekly character voice and singing classes with one of Ireland's leading voice and singing teachers, Ruth McGill
- Weekly Vocal technique class with Christina McMahon using Knight Thompson Speechwork
- Each week all the voice, body and acting masterclasses are recorded along with guided practices for you to further your self study during the week.
- You will have access to an online library of resources and videos from the classes via an interactive App called “Kajabi”
- Weekly feedback with Helena on your questions and process.
- Private tutorial with Helena Walsh at the end of the course
Here's how this works
This 10 week course starts Thursday 23rd September and runs until December 4th 2021
- We meet three (3) times a week on Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays via Zoom.
- Thursdays: from 6.30pm to 8.30pm (GMT+1) for character voice and song with Ruth McGill
- Fridays: from 6pm to 7pm (GMT+1) for vocal technique class with Christina McMahon AND embodied voice, imagination and acting classes with Helena Walsh from 7pm to 9pm (GMT +1)
- Saturdays : from 9am to 1pm (GMT +1) Acting Masterclasses with Chris Edmund / Accent Masterclasses with Helena Walsh
We're very excited to have this celebrity Acting Coach with over 40 years experience join us for The Art of the Human Voice!
Chris Edmund is the former head of the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts and celebrity acting coach & trainer to stars like Hugh Jackman and voice director for animated Netflix TV series, "Beat Bugs"!
Plus you'll get to expand and explore your singing and character voice development with Ruth McGill
Ruth is one of Ireland's leading singing coaches with over 20 years experience as well as performing on national TV and theatres across Ireland as a character actress and singer with the award winning "Evertides"
And you get to discover your vocal agility with comedic character actress Christina McMahon
Christina is a comedian, character actress, voiceover artist, writer and speech and accent teacher. She has performed on stages, national TV and radio as an actress and comedian throughout Ireland and UK. She has been mentored by Helena Walsh for the past 4 years in voice. Plus she is currently training in Knight Thompson Speechwork, a highly effective, skills-based approach to speech and accent training for actors.
"Having spent 10 weeks with Helena, Christina, Ruth and Chris I feel very embodied in my practice. Thank you for creating this safe, creative space, where I could join others to collaborate, learn and play. I feel incredibly grounded and rooted, and confident to take what I have learnt forward into my work. It has been so lovely to train at the studio and it is comforting to know I now have a supportive place to return to, to nourish and feed my craft. "
Caoimhe O' Malley, Actress, Dublin Murders
"After completing the 20 week program, I can easily say that I have found a forever mentor in Helena. She is incredibly knowledgable, inspiring, and nurturing. Working with her I continually rediscover and deepen my love of the craft, while simultaneously developing a deeper connection to myself, others, and the world around me. I have learned how to create a safe space for myself - no matter the setting - so I feel free to play with ease and curiosity. I have learned the importance of trusting the body and how to find my authentic voice regardless of character or accent. In addition, Helena teams up with like-minded, passionate instructors who expand on and put Helena’s teachings into practice. This program has been life changing, a brilliant light source during these times. Would recommend to any human, actor or non-actor alike."
~ Maricruz Menchero, Actress, L.A.